Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Let Them Eat Pizza

People tend to associate pizza with a greasy, oily, fatty meal. But pizza and healthy don't need to be opposite terms.

I make pizza once a week -it comes together in a few minutes, you can get as creative as you want with the toppings, and the whole family feels pampered. I buy the crust, there are some really good whole wheat organic pizza crusts on the market, which you can freeze and save for that night you don't especially feel like spending too much time in the kitchen.
On this particular pizza night I made two versions, a vegan one with diced smoked tofu, sautéed spinach with pine nuts, and a more traditional one with mozzarella, olives, and organic tomato sauce, but also loaded with spinach.
For the vegan pizza, instead of tomato sauce I used Montse Bradford's onion paté (she actually calls it a "marmelade"), one of my favorite recipes of hers, which I make every now and then, whenever I can find someone in the house willing to peel and slice 2 kg of onions! Other than that, it's really easy to make and goes well with everything -spread on toast for breakfast, or as a side with pasta, rice or other grains, or even in salads.


2 comments:

  1. heh lady!I love pizzas too and vouch that after years of vegan pizzas their definately healthy.he he we,re back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That date and almond spread is delicious!Please blog it or send me the recipe.It,s like yoghurt or chocolate!gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete