Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Soba mushroom sauté



Israel, my husband, is allergic to legumes. This can be a drag (he's also allergic to poultry, but that's not a problem at home), because my policy is to try to cook the same meal for the four of us. I tend to dislike the concept of "children's food"; the menu for children in most restaurants here tends to consist of a combination of steak, pasta bolognesa, french fries, and chicken. I think children should learn from a wee age to eat the same thing as their parents -this is, to eat well. I don't usually prepare legumes often, but I love lentils and garbanzos (I could eat hummus on a daily basis), and I want the kids to learn to love them too (they're delicious and so healthy).
So last night I made a slow cooked stew rich in legumes for the children and me, and put together this dish in a whisk for Israel.


Ingredients
Soba noodles
bunch fresh mushrooms, chopped into quarters

marinated tempeh, chopped into squares

toasted sunflower seeds
fresh parsley
toasted sesame oil
shoyu


Cook soba noodles as indicated on packet. Set aside. Heat a frying pan. Sauté chopped mushrooms in some olive oil with a pinch sea salt. When the liquid has evaporated, add tempeh and stir until golden. Drizzle with sesame oil and shoyu. Sprinkle with seeds and fresh parsley.


Soba noodles are my favorite type of pasta; when they're not overcooked they have a perfect texture.
It took a long time for me to accept the flavor and texture of tempeh. I tried it in all sorts of recipes, and finally I discovered this tempeh that comes marinated in tamari (which is also practical because you don't need to boil it) and browned in some olive oil until the outsides are crispy, it's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment